Table of Contents
- Alert your Post Rep that you’re ready to ship LTO tapes.
- You’ll be given your title’s Movie ID (MID) and sent a digital form to fill out.
- Netflix Studio Logistics will arrange pick up/delivery (and provide proof of delivery).
Preparing Physical Assets for Iron Mountain (IM)
Only LTO tapes and physical film deliverables should be sent for long term storage. If you‘d like to ship paper deliverables or hard drives, ask your Netflix Post Rep for guidance.
We strongly suggest LTO tapes be made in duplicate. The primary copy ships first. The secondary copy is held until the first copy is confirmed as received. The primary and secondary must be arranged in separate shipments at different times, with each requiring its own separate shipment entry and manifest.
If shipping multiple shows at once, they must be arranged in separate shipments.
Please use sturdy boxes with plenty of packing materials (avoid packing peanuts). Your Post Rep can help you procure boxes and packing supplies if you don’t have access. Be prepared to measure and weigh the boxes.
- LTO tapes must be packed standing on edge, not flat. To prevent tapes from falling on their side during transport, include enough packing material to keep them upright and insulated from drops.
This LABEL can be used on the outside of the box. Please do not write “Netflix” or the title of the show anywhere on the exterior of the box.
A manifest will be required both printed (for inside the box) and digitally (to upload). If you don’t have a manifest, a template will be provided.
LTO 6, 7, 8, 9
LTFS Format: v2.0.0 (or later)
No LTO hardware compression
Error Correction enabled
- Checksums required. Please read the Data Management article for more information.
A unique LTO barcode on the spine of the tape is required for use in LTO robots. Note that there are specific requirements for barcodes (e.g. number of characters allowed and the format designation). Please do not use generic barcodes as they make it difficult for barcode readers to scan/identify.
Some online options for ordering barcode labels:
Use the labels below as examples of what should be on the spine of the actual tape, NOT on the flat side. Replace “LTO” with a three-letter show code, chosen by you.
For LTO 6:
For LTO 7:
For LTO 8:
Example LTO Tape: correctly barcoded on its spine, with the flat side blank.
LTO CASE LABEL
The following information should be included on a label that affixes to the external case, not on the tape itself. Note that if a security title exists, it must be used here.
LTO Barcode #
- changed the article title to be specific to LTO
- removed mentions of Content Hub API uploading
- added LTO9 to spec