This recommendation and guidance is meant for a wide audience and may not apply to your production. Please reach out to your Netflix Representative with any questions.
Download Voice Record Pro from the Apple iOS Store.
- Use the built in iPad/iPhone Mic or Plugin a USB Mic of your choice. *Apogee Hype Mic or similar is recommended to the Lightning Port on the iPhone/iPad Or USB-C Port On iPad Pro for higher quality recording.
- If recording with others, establish a Facetime, Google Hangouts, Skype or Zoom call with the director or sound team on another device.
- Record in an isolated room with the least echo. Closets can work, or rooms with curtains/couches/beds - materials that absorb sound
- Adjust microphone level to peak halfway up the meter with normal speech. Adjust loud speech or yelling as needed to ensure the recording does not distort.
- Share a test recording with the production for recording quality validation before recording extensively
- Launch Voice Record Pro App
- Press the Record Button
- Once in Record go to Advanced Tab and make sure Advanced Record Options are set with the following settings below before recording.
- Next Tap the Level Check Button to ensure you have proper recording level and signal from your Microphone
- Once levels are checked hit DONE
- Tap Record to begin recording.
- Tap Stop to end Recording.
- Tap Play to listen back to Recording
- Once recording is done for that Take you can individually name the Takes using the Pencil/Edit tab here
- Name it according to what you have worked out with the Sound Team and Director.
- Navigate to the Main Page by touching the Back tab on the screen.
- Notice all of your Takes here.
- Tap the Cloud Tab to open Cloud Services. Select audio and Send Files by choosing a sharing option. (We recommend Google Drive, but you may also use the other methods listed).
- Mic Placement Examples
- 1.2 - 2020-04-09: Added instructions on setting proper mic gain
- 1.1 - 2020-03-30: Added Mic Placement Example Pictures
- 1.0 - 2020-03-27: First Version