Timed Text Style Guide Updates - March 2018
As a result of feedback collected over the past few months, we published global updates to the Timed Text Style Guides on Friday, March 9th. There are no major changes to current guidelines, mostly expansion and clarification of some sections across all languages.
Below is a high-level summary of the most significant updates - the detailed Change Logs can be found as usual at the bottom of each style guide:
- General Requirements - Brand Names Treatment section added and Translator Credits section expanded;
- English Template Style Guide - reading speed limits increased, stylistic requirements added;
- English Style Guide updated to cover both SDH and English subtitles.
- All languages:
- Documentary section expanded, with added clarification regarding the use of italics;
- Forced Narratives section updated, adding notes around duration as well as overlap with dialogue;
- Songs section - added bullet point around opening and ending songs;
- Titles section - added language around the use of the KNP Tool for Episode Titles;
- SDH section revised and expanded for all languages;
- Arabic Timed Text Style Guide - SDH reading speed limit increased;
- Croatian Timed Text Style Guide - type of quotes updated („ “);
- German Timed Text Style Guide - clarification regarding the use of the uppercase ẞ;
- Hebrew Timed Text Style Guide - clarification regarding transliterations;
- Hindi Timed Text Style Guide - reading speed limits increased;
- Thai Timed Text Style Guide - clarification regarding transliterations.
Please note the new guidelines should be implemented for new projects only - projects already underway should continue using the old guidelines for consistency.
Feel free to reach out with any questions via the “Provide Feedback” link located at the bottom of each Style Guide.