Casting Approval Tool: Features and Workflow
As we continue to scale our global dubbing efforts, one challenge we face is improving our ability to discover, assess, and manage talent. We have developed a secure, title centric management application called "Casting Approval" to streamline the entire casting process.
The intent of this document is to present the basic functionalities of the tool. Hopefully you will find that the application is user friendly and very intuitive.
- Access- casting project managers on-boarded via starship
- Project Dashboard- Once source requests are assigned to partner, movie title populates partner casting dashboard with all project information.
- Characters- all character information, VTKs, creative direction notes
- Audition Requests - partner to receive requests on character and language
- Fulfillment and Submission partner to submit WAV samples and fulfill requests. Netflix contact will approve or reject submissions and provide feedback.
- Approval - partner to receive Netflix feedback and talent selections
Members of your team will be on-boarded in Starship by our dubbing team or Post Partnerships & Integrations (PPI). If you are awarded a project, it will automatically show up on your dashboard via source request assignment. If you are subcontracting, they will also see the title(s) dashboard, languages assigned, and be able to fulfill requests.NOTE: Access is only allowed when on-boarded directly to a production.
Titles displayed on your dashboard are based on source request assignment and starship production on-boarding.
- Casting Status - displays state of project
- Casting Time - duration based on time project has been open
- Auditions - status of fulfilled requests against total number of open audition requests
- Created By - original creator of project and point of contact for production
- Settings - by clicking on icon, allows personalized settings for color scheme, notifications, and default filter
NOTE: If an expected title does not show up on dashboard, please escalate to Creative Dubbing Supervisor.
Characters page provides overarching view on all characters needing casting and / or library submissions. Character metadata contains age, gender, original talent name, traits, and type. Full biography and descriptions outlined by synopsis, voice descriptions for desired talent. If applicable, a voice test kit (VTK) will be available for playback and download. Title details pane and or overall project status’ outline on right pane window.
- Character Profile - Voice description, Tags, Age, Gender, Picture, Original Talent
- VTK & Audition Script file (optional) - Playback for review, downloadable, watermarked
- Details & Progress, dub delivery estimate date, audition progress, context materials & docs
NOTE: Audition progress - submitted is what you have sent to Netflix, and completed is what has been approved and cast by Netflix.
Auditions page provides overarching view on all audition requests needing voice actor fulfillment. On the audition tab, you will have full visibility into audition requests - status, languages, characters. Search bar to narrow down & filter viewing preferences. The submitted and completed progress bars will give you insight into action items.
- Audition Tab contains character breakdown, status & duration of open project, plus character click opens side-pane for full character preview.
- Assign Talent - will open talent assignment page
Assign existing talent from our database, voice talent name should populate as you type. Talent database is robust from previous Netflix projects. If talent name does not populate, click ‘create new talent’ and fill out form to submit actor. WAV file upload should match duration of VTK exactly and be in sync with picture.
- Talent Details - name auto-populates and pulls data from previous projects. Please make sure spelling is correct.
- Create New Talent - create new talent only if name does not auto populate in drop down. Ability to enter English spelling and / or source language spelling (localized credited name)
- Talent WAV submission - mono WAV upload is auto married with VTK, and WAV needs to match duration of VTK exactly. Much like the premix WAV submission and spec.
- Video playback defaults to the audition audio. You also have the ability to toggle with original source audio.
Note: Do not forget to save your WAV upload. Once submitted, the Netflix dub team will be notified and go through the evaluation and approval stages.
Note: As previously stated, it is imperative the WAV file is in exact sync with VTK picture and file length’s need to match. Any files that are out of sync with picture will be rejected.
Auditions page provides overarching view on all audition requests status’ and action items.
- Submitting Audition to Netflix - defaults to select all, but flexible on character and language selection for submission. Please be advised, multiple languages, you will need to scroll down before submitting.
- Once submitted, status’ are shown per character and per language. Netflix contact will receive notification and begin review process.
- Status will change once reviewed by Netflix and indicates casting decision. NAme click opens side pane with in-tool chat and audition window
- Audition Review takes you into the player window to review all voice talents anytime during the submission or approval process. You can side by side preview with video.
- Chat feature - feel free to message before or during the casting approval process.
Additional Comments on Casting Approval Tool
SLAs for audition samples to be sent to Netflix will be communicated on project kickoff or by the Creative Dubbing Supervisor before requests are submitted. If you have any questions or concerns, please send feedback via the ‘send feedback’ button in the interface.