Color Grading: Dolby Vision / HDR
Netflix Originals are mastered, packaged, and delivered in the Dolby Vision format. From this package, we derive Dolby Vision, HDR10, and SDR streams for Netflix customers to enjoy.
Please Note: Integrated (software) CMU v4 is currently not supported.
What is needed
Professional HDR monitor
Minimum 100% P3 D65
≥1000 cd/m2 peak brightness
Minimum contrast ratio of 200,000:1
Supports PQ / ST.2084
Professional SDR monitor
Rec.709, BT.1886 / Gamma 2.4, 100 cd/m2
Color Grading Software with Dolby Vision Support
Post Technology Alliance Participants:
Grass Valley Rio
Content Mapping Unit (CMU) System
- Hardware eCMU from Dolby Certified Vendor or integrated software iCMU.
- Please Note: v2.9 is considered current. Trims/exports/conversions created with v4 integrated CMU are not accepted at this time.
Dolby Vision License (from Dolby)
Activates Dolby Vision Trim Controls.
Dolby Vision Certification
Commissioning, training and support provided by Dolby to use the above tools to master Dolby Vision.
Mastering and Packaging Tools with Dolby Vision Support
- Please review the Netflix Post Technology Alliance website for the latest information.
Who to contact
Americas (incl. North, Central and South):Thomas Graham <email@example.com>
Rest of World: Ian Lowe <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Please Submit A Request.
- Note: You must be logged into the Partner Help Center in order to use this feature.
What to deliver
Dolby Vision VDM (Video Display Master)
16-bit TIFF frame sequence
Color Space: P3 D65, PQ (ST.2084), full-range
Dolby Vision XML file containing accurate metadata*
* Please ensure that all XML metadata is accurate, including Color Encoding, Mastering Display, and Aspect Ratio. Please use Dolby's metafier validation to ensure that there are no errors in the metadata.
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions related to this topic can be found in our dedicated "High Dynamic Range & Dolby Vision" FAQ Section.
If you do not find your question in our FAQs then please Submit A Request.
- Professional HDR monitor: Editorial updates to provide clarity on requirements.
- CMU / Dolby Vision License / Dolby Vision Certification: Editorial updates to provide clarity in these areas.
- Who To Contact: Added additional Dolby contact information.
- Color Grading Software with Dolby Vision Support: Updated to reference the Netflix Post Technology Alliance (PTA) and included link PTA links where applicable.
- Mastering and Packaging Tools with Dolby Vision Support: Added link to the Netflix Post Technology Alliance website.
- Introduction: Added "Please Note: Integrated (software) CMU v4 is currently not supported."
- Content Mapping Unit (CMU) System: Added "Please Note: For software using the integrated (software) CMU, v2.9 is considered current. Trims/exports/conversions created with v4 integrated CMU are not accepted at this time."
- What is Needed: Removed references to specific HDR monitors.